I was curious as to how Sandhi catalogs and stores all of her junk mail to be able to make sense of it and to be able to find what she wants when she begins a new piece. Here's what she told me.
- I sort the mail as it comes in, put all the junk - postcards, catalog covers, etc. in a pile.
- Just as normal "recycle" / garbage sorting, all old greeting cards, menus, business cards, etc. go into the studio instead of the recycle bin.
- All that goes into drawers.
- Every time I start a new piece, I make myself spend time going through the drawers for a "rough sort" - and chop up everything into color chunks.
- Those go into drawers - very basic color group
- When I am looking for a color, I find a piece that is a "key" - then I look through the color drawer for pieces that sort of match it - and cut those pieces into strips, and as I work, cut the strips into squares. This is all done by hand, by the way.
- So, yes there is sort of a system and it is organized. There are drawers, boxes, etc.
- Remember, I have been saving stuff for years. So there is a LOT of it! Every time I finish a piece, I clean up - I make a mess while I'm working, but won't start something new until the studio is tidy.
I had no idea her brother was the very talented, comedian, Robert Schimmel, until I saw the announcement of his death on her Facebook page in early September 2010. He's been a favorite of mine for many years and he's appeared in person on The DSC Show numerous times over the last 10 years. I've always enjoyed his raunchy, bold, brand of humor and he's given me many laughs over the years. He will be sorely missed. Sandhi made a portrait of him, shown below.
All art on this page created by Sandhi Schimmel Gold and not for reproduction without her permission.